About the Company
One of the UK’s leading independent shipping and logistics providers, trusted by some of the world’s leading companies, John Good Logistics provide freight forwarding by sea, air and road, warehousing, distribution, end-to-end supply chain management, plus liner and port agency services.
John Good Logistics is a wholly owned subsidiary of The John Good Group – a leading family-owned shipping, third party logistics (3PL) and corporate travel provider. A key player since 1833, The Good family remain actively involved in the business ensuring that the family heritage, values and history sit firmly at the heart of everything we do.
Having experienced significant, continuous growth over the past 15 years, the John Good Group has been ranked for the last 3 years as one of fastest growing private companies by the Sunday Times HSBC International Track 200.
About the Role
To act as a customer focal point as part of the John Good UK Key Account Team. The Key Account takes full responsibility for the end to end operational process managed on behalf of our Key Account Customers, from point of booking to final delivery and all touchpoints in between.
The team works together to ensure that KPI’s (internal and external) are met and where possible exceeded. There is a strong ‘Can do’ work ethic within the team as we work to continually improve customer service and secure further volume whenever possible. Essential to this is the ability to identify potential issues at the earliest opportunity and to present both internally and externally a proactive solution that can then be documented and shared internally. A good commercial understanding is also required to spot and take advantages of opportunities that may be presented and to bring these to the attention of the Key Account Manager.
The Key Account team also acts as a global cost centre, meaning all customer invoices are raised via the team therefore data accuracy is an essential requirement. The performance of the account and the team is presented via quarterly business reviews to the customer.
The Key Account team handles the UK’s top tier clients and acts as a single point of contact for these customers, our internal operations teams (where needed), nominated suppliers and agents within our network. The intention of the team is to facilitate the growth of our top customers with John Good Logistics through a proactive approach to customer service and a continuous improvement mindset. The team will house commercial, operation and accounting responsibilities for these clients meaning that operators must be multiskilled and open to learning new tasks and taking responsibility for these.
Each operator on the team will have several team-based and person-specific objects as part of the regular review and appraisal process. This will be managed by the Key Account Team Manager. Day to day team performance will be managed via the performance against the customers agreed KPI’s / SLA’s with workload managed via the JGL productivity tools.
- To act as a key contact operationally for UK Key Account customers managed by the JGL Key Account Team and to build relationships based on exceptional customer service standards.
- The current role will initially be export-focused but there is the opportunity to expand this to become a multimodal role handling all modes of transport.
- To place and manage both import and export bookings (as required) with suppliers (Ocean Carriers, Hauliers, Rail Operators etc) as requested by the commercial account manager, creating related jobs in our system (Cargowise) and maintaining accurate records.
- To ensure all processes are completed within the customers agreed KPI’s, this including the below:
- On-Time Booking Confirmation
- On-Time VGM and Customs Submission.
- On-Time Documentation
- Accurate and On-Time Invoicing
- In relation to UK and EU Exports:
- Managing container loadings, communicating late runner’s and proactively resolving issues.
- Completing VGM upon loading and submitting UCR’s to the carrier
- Prepare and issue B/L’s and invoices within time guidelines.
- In relation to UK Imports:
- Managing or overseas agents in relation to carrier nomination and bookings.
- Imports customs clearances
- Managing UK door deliveries, communicating late runners and proactively resolving issues.
- Ensure data accuracy in our system to ensure tracking and analytical data is correct, managing and maintaining tracking information via the customers preferred method of communication.
- All duties to be undertaken with reference to Authorised Economic Operator (AEO) procedures and work instructions.
- Ensuring all processes follow the SOP as implemented by the KAM, ensuring any changes or amendments required to the process are highlighted in order for the document to be accurately maintained.
- Offer efficient and effective service to all customers both internal and external.
- Any other reasonable duties required commensurate with the level of this position
All duties to be undertaken with reference to Authorised Economic Operator (AEO) procedures and work instructions.
- A positive ‘can do’ approach and a proactive mentality towards planning, highlighting, and resolving potential issues with the team and manager before they arise.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- 2 years of shipping experience required, either with a forwarder or shipping line
- Reliable with a strong work ethic
- To be able to prioritise and work in a fast-paced environment
- To be able to prioritise and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Previous experience handling large volume export booking.
- Excellent understanding of excel with the ability to create and maintain reporting.
- Knowledge of UK Port Systems (CNS & Destin8)
- Knowledge of Import and export process and CHIEF.
- Previous experience using the Cargowise system.
- Flexible working hours
- Company pension scheme
- 25 days holidays excluding bank holidays
- Excellent remuneration
How to apply
To apply, please email your CV and covering letter to HR@johngood.co.uk