About the Company
Based in Hull and Immingham, DAN Shipping is one of the UK’s leading independent ship agents and shipbrokers. Their in-depth local knowledge and understanding of the shipping world ensures they provide high quality, cost-effective ship agency, chartering and logistics services at ports across the UK.
DAN Shipping is a wholly owned subsidiary of The John Good Group – one of the UK’s leading independent family-owned shipping, third party logistics (3PL) and corporate travel providers. A key player since 1833, The Good family remain actively involved in the business ensuring that the family heritage, values and history sit firmly at the heart of everything we do.
Having experienced significant, continuous growth over the past 15 years, the John Good Group has been ranked for the last 3 years as one of fastest growing private companies by the Sunday Times HSBC International Track 200.
About the Role
The role will provide support to the shipping department to ensure the safe and efficient delivery of Port Agency activities, together with providing an efficient and excellent service to customers and colleagues.
The role holder will be based in our Immingham office with requirement to work from Hull and different Ports when necessary.
DAN shipping is a subsidiary of the John Good Group with 9 employees, and with close working relationships with sister company, Bay Shipping, there will be some exposure to Chartering.
- Daily communication with Principals, Ships Masters, Port Authorities and other stakeholders.
- Maintaining communication and control through all phases of the journey.
- Working closely with customers, colleagues and third parties to ensure smooth operations to deadlines.
- To ensure agency activities are implemented in a safe, efficient manner and to the requirements of the port/and principals’ requirements.
- Responsible for the accurate preparation, completion and despatch of routine vessel and cargo documentation to various parties.
- Assist in local port services and husbandry requirements on behalf of Ships’ Masters, owners and crew.
- Order port services with guidance/instruction from the Agency & Chartering Manager.
- Accurately calculate pro-forma port costs and husbandry costs.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with ship owners, charterers, and shore side personnel/port authorities.
- As and when requested travel to and work from other port locations.
- Work under pressure and to strict deadlines, sometimes out of normal office hours.
To support the Agency and Chartering Team in:
- Bids and quotations for new business opportunities.
- The identification and delivery of agency / chartering contracts.
- Reports and analysis of various products, companies, projects.
- Plan, deliver and record all work undertaken using Group systems as directed.
- Communicate effectively and promptly with colleagues, customers, and suppliers.
- Deliver excellent customer service.
- Work flexibly.
- Ensure compliance with the organisations group health & safety requirements and all relevant current health & safety legislation.
- Work within the Company’s Group’s policies, procedures, and values.
- Identify opportunities to increase and improve services to new and existing customers.
- Perform any other duties as reasonably requested by management.
All duties to be undertaken with reference to Authorised Economic Operator (AEO) procedures and work instructions.
- Previous Experience of working in a shipping agency/forwarding environment.
- Knowledge of Agents On Line (AOL) National Maritime Single Window reporting
- Light Dues, Ordering procedure for Towage Boatmen Pilots,
- Ability to drive and hold valid (full) licence is essential as frequent travel between sites and vessels will be required.
- Import/ Export procedure – requirements
- Chamber of Commerce, procedures – requirements
- Flexible working hours
- Car allowance
- Company pension scheme
- 25 days holidays excluding bank holidays
- Excellent remuneration
How to apply
To apply, please email your CV and covering letter to HR@johngood.co.uk